Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The 2012 Short Story Challenge (Not Just For, er, Short People)

This year I have decided to enjoy more short stories. They are an art form that just doesn't get the same appreciation that the novel does. So this year, I'm resolved to read at least 40 short stories. I am actually hoping to read 52 (one a week), but 40 is already quite a bit!

To help myself out, I set up The Short Story Challenge. To complete the challenge, you only need to read 12 short stories (which is my minimum). The stories can be featured anywhere: anthologies, magazines, newspapers or even online.

I'm going to be trying out stories from all sorts of sites/publications/books, and I will make sure to list the source of the tale as I monitor my progress. So here's what I've read so far:
  1. How Many Miles to Babylon? by Megan Arkenberg (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 20 - read it for free
  2. Mazer in Prison by Orson Scott Card (read in the Federations Anthology edited by John Joseph Adams)
  3. Gene Wars by Paul McAuley (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 20)
  4. Always true to thee, in my fashion by Nancy Kress (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue 20)
  5. Warship by George R.R. Martin and George Guthridge (read in the Federations Anthology edited by John Joseph Adams)
  6. Different Day by K. Tempest Bradford (read in the Federations Anthology edited by John Joseph Adams)
  7. ★ A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman (available for free at Neil's website
  8. Reaper by Rachel Vincent (E-novella)
  9. The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe
  10. Kitten-Tiger & the Monk by Carolyn Crane

2 comments:

  1. Will there be a link where we can hop and check posts of your challenge's participants? I've read several O. Henry short stories and made a post on them already. Great challenge you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well here is my list of short reads for this year (so far) :) I love short stories and I am glad I came across some good ones. Hope you like the list, thank you for sharing yours. I love it :)

    My List:
    1. Never Gonna Let You Go (The Underground #1) by Jessica Subject
    2. Banshee Charmer (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency #1) by Tiffany Allee
    3. Seeking A Scribe (Enchanted Bookstore Legend 1) by Marsha A. Moore
    4. Beneath the Starry Sky (1Night Stand #71) by Jessica E. Subject
    5. Unknown Futures (1Night Stand #77) by Jessica E. Subject
    6. Southern Seduction by Luna Zega
    7. Murderous Regrets (Prince of Darkness #0.5) by Beth Ann Masarik
    8. Waiting For Daybreak by Amanda McNeil
    9. The Soul Seekers by Amy Saia
    10. The Unexpected Return (Elatia #2) by Jessica E. Subject
    11. Back to Bataan by Jerome Charyn
    12. Moonlight by Katie Salidas
    13. Sudden Breakaway (1Night Stand Series) by Jessica E. Subject
    14. Once (Ask Me Anything, Not Love) by Mian Mohsin Zia
    15. Owlet (Society of Feathers #1) by Emma Michaels
    16. Satin Sheets in Space (1Night Stand Series) by Jessica E. Subject
    17. Victim Of Shame: Why Me, God? by Mian Mohsin Zia
    18. Seven Day Loan (or The Gift) (The Original Sinners #0.5) by Tiffany Reisz
    19. Perfect Skill by Robert Andrew Mayher

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...